freeSSHd and freeFTPd

Remember me Registration (Optional)

Please note that there is no official support from the author for freeSSHd or freeFTPd. You should not expect to receive response on messages posted here.

Forums -> freeSSHd - General -> License
Reply | New topic

Plenque
Anonymous
          
License 09-05-2005 19:51
I suppose you've received this message more than once. Anyway, I'll give it a try.
I think that freeSSHd is filling a tremendous gap in the free software for windows. The problem is that my company won't use an encryption software if it's not commercial or at least we can audit the source code. I think that many of the users might be in the same situation.
So my question is: Is there a plan to release the source of freeSSHd? Or are you planning to release a commercial version?

Thanks in advance.
Reply with quote

freesshd
Your main contact

Postings: 936
Administrator
          
Re: License 09-05-2005 23:46
Hi Plenque,

You can get freeSSHd's source code by purchasing wodSSHServer component from WeOnlyDo!. Be sure to purchase a license with source code. Here's a direct link.


Quote:
I suppose you've received this message more than once. Anyway, I'll give it a try.
I think that freeSSHd is filling a tremendous gap in the free software for windows. The problem is that my company won't use an encryption software if it's not commercial or at least we can audit the source code. I think that many of the users might be in the same situation.
So my question is: Is there a plan to release the source of freeSSHd? Or are you planning to release a commercial version?

Thanks in advance.
Reply with quote

anonymous
Anonymous
          
Re: License 05-06-2006 08:28
Ok, but in this case should it really be called "freesshd"? Furthermore the license probably should not state

"FreeSSHd is free software and may be used by any number of users on any number of system..."

The term "free software" is well defined and this license clearly makes FreeSSHd non-free software. (For the definition of free software see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software or http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)

Why not do the right thing here and use a real free software license?

Quote:
Hi Plenque,

You can get freeSSHd's source code by purchasing wodSSHServer component from WeOnlyDo!. Be sure to purchase a license with source code. Here's a direct link.


[quote]I suppose you've received this message more than once. Anyway, I'll give it a try.
I think that freeSSHd is filling a tremendous gap in the free software for windows. The problem is that my company won't use an encryption software if it's not commercial or at least we can audit the source code. I think that many of the users might be in the same situation.
So my question is: Is there a plan to release the source of freeSSHd? Or are you planning to release a commercial version?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]
Reply with quote

freesshd

Administrator
          
Re: License 05-06-2006 19:26
Why should we? If, eg., Toyota was giving away its cars for free, but not the blueprints, or assembly instructions, would you complain???
Reply with quote

anonymous

Anonymous
          
Re: License 06-06-2006 09:39
I don't own an assembly plant and so I can't make use of the blueprints to a Toyota. On the other hand I do have a compiler, an editor, and an Internet connection. So source code and the right to study, modify, and distribute it is a very useful thing indeed.

I want to be able to cooperate on the software I use. I want to participate in making it better. I want to build on in ways nobody has thought of yet and then share my changes with others that might want them. These freedoms don't really apply to a Toyota and they aren't possible with your software as it is currently licensed.

I agree with the previouis post that this could be an imporant piece of software in the FOSS communicty. That's why I encourage you to rethink your license.

Quote:
Why should we? If, eg., Toyota was giving away its cars for free, but not the blueprints, or assembly instructions, would you complain???

Reply with quote

freesshd

Administrator
          
Re: License 06-06-2006 12:18
You can always try to make OpenSSH better.

Quote:
I don't own an assembly plant and so I can't make use of the blueprints to a Toyota. On the other hand I do have a compiler, an editor, and an Internet connection. So source code and the right to study, modify, and distribute it is a very useful thing indeed.

I want to be able to cooperate on the software I use. I want to participate in making it better. I want to build on in ways nobody has thought of yet and then share my changes with others that might want them. These freedoms don't really apply to a Toyota and they aren't possible with your software as it is currently licensed.

I agree with the previouis post that this could be an imporant piece of software in the FOSS communicty. That's why I encourage you to rethink your license.



Reply with quote

anon9

Anonymous
          
Re: License 04-04-2009 00:27
Why does the title of this web site say "freeSSHd and freeFTPd - open source SSH and SFTP servers for Windows if the source is not open?? This is in no way open source software. It probably is derived from open source software and you can buy a commercial license to the software with source code. It is free as in free beer, but not as in free speech. Source code is critical for any software that claims to be secure so it can be audited to check for both intentional flaws (backdoors) and unintentional flaws (bugs.)
Reply with quote

freesshd

Administrator
          
Re: License 04-04-2009 01:05
Anon,

I don't think I should discuss 'open source' with anonymous user at all. It's free. Opposite of 'non free'. Also, source is available and is "not closed". I'm offering something for free, under terms that are available as they are.

You can use what I give here for free, including my time. Or you can move on.

Kreso
Reply with quote

Simon Bruce

Anonymous
          
Re: License 05-04-2009 11:18
Software does not need to be OpenSource to be free. This is a falicy.

It should be obvious to you when FreeFTPD says to you that "the source code is free only if you purchase a copy of this component" that it is largely based on this component. This is a licensed application and he just can't give this away can he. Even if FreeFTPD did give away their source code then you would still have to purchase license to use wodSSHServer ActiveX Component.

I think FreeFTPD made a very good point when he said "You can always try to make OpenSSH better". OpenSSH is an awesome product, it probably does a lot more than FreeFTPD does -- but it is a painful to setup on Windows which is why FreeFTPD is around.

So, to finish what I am saying, Free does not mean OpenSource even though some people will try and make you think it does and if you want OpenSource... go download OpenSSH and start coding.

Oh FreeFTPD, thanks for a great product. :)

Quote:
Why does the title of this web site say "freeSSHd and freeFTPd - open source SSH and SFTP servers for Windows if the source is not open?? This is in no way open source software. It probably is derived from open source software and you can buy a commercial license to the software with source code. It is free as in free beer, but not as in free speech. Source code is critical for any software that claims to be secure so it can be audited to check for both intentional flaws (backdoors) and unintentional flaws (bugs.)

Reply with quote
 

Search the forum

Latest posts

Current version

Related sites

Internet & Security Components

VPN and Instant Messaging - all in one!